Monday, May 20, 2013

Finishing Off April


Again, a month has passed without an update. This time, a lot has happened in a month! So I will post a series of blogs to catch you up on what’s been going on.  Here it begins with the last month of April:

My roommate accepted his dream job as an animator/entertainer in Cyprus, so he had to leave Moscow on the 27th. We spent the last weekend wandering around the forest near our apartment. The forest was quite enjoyable as spring was starting to show, but many of the paths were still blocked by large piles of snow or sticky, sinky mud.

The week after my roommate left was quite relaxing. I didn’t have any lessons, so I met up with my adult student for lunch and to say goodbye(she was going to her summer home). The rest of the week I sat around doing nothing, not even packing.

May First was a holiday in Russia, celebrating Communism. Everything was shut down, so Kieran, Katy, and I wandered around a bit of Moscow. We enjoyed the sun and the heat as we walked past 18th century to20th century architectures nestled together in various states of upkeep. After stopping and enjoying a beer at a Kozel brewery, we took the train a couple of hours north to a town called Sergiev Posad. It is a town built around a monastery. Unfortunately, half the monastery was under construction, but it was still a beautiful place to visit.



The day was so sunny and beautiful I didn’t spend much time wandering around the dark caverns of the churches. In fact, shortly after we reached the Lavre, all the masses started. The chants and bells rang through the entire monastery, so I sat on a bench in the sun next to newly bloomed snowdrops and enjoyed spring to the fullest.

On the way back from Sergiev Posad, I enjoyed watching birch forests fly past and quaint little towns with quaint little names like “43 Kilometer” (which is 43 kilometers from Moscow).  All of the towns were burning their garbage, giving a ghostly mist to the towns glowing in the twilight.

Katy, Kieran, and Jack gave me a great send off the night before I left for Israel. At first it had me questioning why I was leaving Moscow so soon but by the end of the night when the drama escalated, I remembered why I was so anxious to leave. There were no regrets when I boarded the plane, except maybe, being able to see the birch forests with leaves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment