We had originally thought to stay in the center of town in one of those older buildings. But the rooms are quite expensive for a damp, hot, windowless room filled with funky smells and lord knows what else. So we stayed in a hotel on the edge of town. It was a great hotel, the guide book labeled it as "Asian kitsch," and it was in some ways, but it looked like any of the hotels in Asia. The main thing is that it was clean, comfortable, had hot water, and a pool. The guide book also said it looked out over rice patties--and it did, on a clear morning you could see a sliver of a rice patty on the horizon.
Mainly Hoi An was spent lounging on the beach or at the pool and eating Vietnamese food. I had a very "South Pacific" moment when a little lady came up to me with an arm full of bracelets, rings, and necklaces looped through shoe laces. She undid one shoe lace and pulled out a jade (or maybe glass) bracelet. I was hooked and I wanted it. She said "Very beautiful, very lucky, you buy?" I ask her the price and it was well over the price I wanted to pay for a probably glass bracelet. I told her it was too expensive but she pointed to one of the islands on the horizon and said, "Come from that island. Very special island. Bracelet special. It lucky. Make you lucky. You buy?" With the wind and the mist I was ready for "Bali Hai" to start playing. Matt negotiated the price down to a bargain deal and I got the lucky bracelet and Matt had to listen to me hum "South Pacific."
Mainly Hoi An was spent lounging on the beach or at the pool and eating Vietnamese food. I had a very "South Pacific" moment when a little lady came up to me with an arm full of bracelets, rings, and necklaces looped through shoe laces. She undid one shoe lace and pulled out a jade (or maybe glass) bracelet. I was hooked and I wanted it. She said "Very beautiful, very lucky, you buy?" I ask her the price and it was well over the price I wanted to pay for a probably glass bracelet. I told her it was too expensive but she pointed to one of the islands on the horizon and said, "Come from that island. Very special island. Bracelet special. It lucky. Make you lucky. You buy?" With the wind and the mist I was ready for "Bali Hai" to start playing. Matt negotiated the price down to a bargain deal and I got the lucky bracelet and Matt had to listen to me hum "South Pacific."
No comments:
Post a Comment