My trip started well. The sky was clear and Portland was
having good weather, so I got a beautiful view of Mount Hood. Portland was
shining beautifully as we landed, making me wish I was staying in Portland
instead of heading to Taiwan. I killed
my four hour layover in Portland by being that
girl with the giant backpack who parks herself in the middle of the bookstore
and reads. It was Powell’s Books, can you blame me?
The rest of the journey was uneventful, thank goodness. I
arrived in Taipei a little late. I stood in line at immigration for over an
hour (the one time no one wants to make friends), and then, successfully found
my bags. I wheeled them out and looked for my driver. I found my name, but no
driver, after a few initial mishaps I found the correct driver. By this time it
was nearly midnight and I was exhausted from lack of sleep. I opened the car
door to be greeted by a giant cockroach on my seat. Instead of screaming or
jumping like I normally do when confronted by a giant bug, I merely brushed him
off the seat and climbed in the car—a sure sign I was going to pass out soon.
Nor did I seem to panic when the driver just kept driving
and driving and nearly two hours later, showed up in this little village. I got
out of the car and stood in the middle of this village trying to blink away
sleep. Luckily my boss came and introduced himself; otherwise, I may have spent
the night on a scooter. I had made it to his parents’ house finally!
My boss and his wife left me after a few minutes of
explaining phone numbers and schedules. I nodded dumbly and after the door
closed I collapsed onto the bed—sitting up instantly, cradling my arm and ribs.
I had been wishing for a hard, firm bed, well I got one! I’ve discovered that
beds in this country are extra- firm box springs with a bamboo mat/board on top
(you are apparently supposed to sleep on the board without any sort of
covering). I scanned the room until I found a duvet, which I folded as much as
I dared to give me some sort of cushion. I laid down much more gently after
that.
My back and ribs woke me seven in the morning. I had to lie
in bed until I could actually feel my limbs, as my fingers and toes randomly go
to sleep when I am on these beds. Then the morning ritual of stretching out the
stiff muscles began (so no worries about not doing yoga). After getting
dressed, I went downstairs where I met my boss’s parents and half of the
village. One woman knew “beautiful.” Even so, they made it quite plain that I
was supposed to eat pears and drink the tea and we all shared a few
uncomfortable laughs.
I explored the small village (name unknown), but it is ten
minutes from my town of Hemei. Mama Giant (as we call the boss’s mother)
insisted that I carry an umbrella to protect my skin from the sun. I felt like
Mary Poppins visits Asia as I wandered around the village a bit. I was greeted
by many curious people, but who were all friendly and didn’t once point and
gawk like I had three heads.
So far Taiwan reminds me of a very muggy and hot
Vietnam/Korea mix. There are a lot of neon lights. Korean culture is very
popular here so young men and women are dressed in South Korean fashion. There
are 7-Elevens and Family Marts everywhere. But the buildings are the tall
concrete colonial style. Also street
food is king, cheap and mostly delicious. However, it isn’t recommended for the
squeamish, as internal organs are part of a complete breakfast, lunch, and
dinner.
Changua County is a mixture of agriculture and industry. A
few years ago everyone worked either growing rice or making all those clothes we
pay so dearly for. Now that China has moved the clothing industry to China,
sewing machines are rusting in the corners of everyone’s home and factories sit
rotting next to rice patties. However, there is still a working Velcro factory
and a factory that dyes the fabric used to make Nike shoes.
Orientation started on Wednesday. Orientation consisted of
class observation, going over learning materials and syllabi, and trial
lessons. The school is three stories, with six classrooms. We have a central
teachers’ room that six TAs, the principal, and four full time Native English
teachers, and one part- time English teacher share. The kids are completely,
normal kids, bouncing in and out of the teacher’s room joking with the teachers
and TAs. The school is conveniently situated between two vegetarian food
stalls, a coffee cart, a street baker, a bank, and 7 Eleven.
Saturday was moving day. I got up early and packed my
things, walked around the village one last time, and then said goodbye to the
boss’s parents, who fed me again. They are the typical parents, making sure
their children are never hungry! They sent us off loaded with mangos, water,
coffee packets, hangers, and even a pair of trousers for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment