![]() |
| The Royal Palace |
Korea is a bit more bearable now that winter coats are replaced with light jackets. The beginning of the month was a succession of rainy days which reminded me of when I first arrived in Korea. But, Andie's visit seemed to have brought out the best in Korea's weather (minus one extraordinarily rainy day). Now it has been sunny with temperatures between 50-70 degrees --I can live with that!
I was able to meet up with my cousin for a couple of times. I am grateful she was able to fit me in--she has quite a few friends still teaching here. I introduced her to my favorite Jonggak bar and we wandered around Namdaemun Market, Myeongdong, and City Hall together.
The substitute third grade English teacher has gone now, but we got together for dinner and coffee on the extraordinarily rainy day. We chose that day to walk around Insadong and Samcheong-- which was hiding between Jonggak and the royal palace this whole time! Both neighborhoods have an artsy, coffee shop vibe that is infectious. We wandered around window shopping, drinking coffee, and stuffing ourselves until we were soaked to the bone. We both agreed it was so fun, we had to make a weekly deal of it.
![]() |
| Artsy Samcheong |
My other co-teacher bought me a ticket to one of the first baseball games of the season. So we went together to watch the LG Twins. Honestly, I was not looking forward to this event, but as it turned out I had a great time. The game was exciting and the crowd was fun to watch. With the noise makers, cheerleaders, crowd leader, drums, and special songs for each player the game was more like a musical about baseball. Another game is in store, I can assure you--even though the team lost.
Matt was buying food when I arrived at my apartment after the game. A very welcome sight on both accounts. I was so excited to share the newly discovered Seoul, that I dragged him out of the apartment at 9:30 on Saturday morning and after the usual weekend Paris Baguette pastries and coffee, we were combing our way through Insadong. Both of us getting a spring in our step and feeling some-what adventurous.
After exploring, or more like climbing, Insadong, Samcheong, and the hilly old neighborhood of Bukchon, we headed to the island of Yeouido to enjoy the cherry blossom festival. However, there weren't many cherry blossoms and the ones that were there were fast being destroyed by couples and their smart phones. None-the-less we wandered the river bank soaking up the sun.
| Crowding around the cherry tree |
Sunday was an eventful day of coffee buying, I finally bought a stove-top coffee pot after the shocking realization that this whole time I have been drinking disgusting instant coffee. It is amazing how much more enjoyable that morning coffee is now! While coffee is much more enjoyable, food has lost it's appeal. Hopefully soon, I will be excited to eat.


No comments:
Post a Comment