It's another chilly day here in Seoul. According to the internet, the temperature is 50 degrees with 87% humidity. The 50 degrees isn't so bad for the middle of October. But it doesn't feel like 50 degrees! This is an autumn I have never experienced before! It is like it is humid enough that the cold seeps through the clothes and into every part of your body, yet my skin is dry and chapped. Thankfully it is so cold that I don't have to wash my hair every day, otherwise it would be dry and brittle. My contacts get dry pretty fast and I hear that it gets worsethe colder it gets. It is dry enough that a hand-washed heavy sweater was dry in less than 24 hours. It is not cold enough to turn all of the leaves yet... some trees are orange and gold, but many are still brillant green. Maybe I am just pansy. And it is true, that teachers leave their windows open. My co-teacher thankfully leaves the windows shut in our classroom until the sun is shining on the windows. But all the windows in the halls are open, so I feel that I have to putt on a jacket and a scarf just to go to the bathroom. I am so dreading winter.
On a brighter note, I learned to make bimimbap last night. Bimimbap means mixed rice. You cook various veggetables in sauces and then mix it together with rice. Usually you use bean sprouts, bracken, bellflower roots, ground beef, eggs, seaweed, and onion. But you can mix any thing in there. This is kind of what I made, only we used the egg as coating for cod, so we fried the rest of the egg and put it on top, instead of sunny side up.
Another version that I like has a soft cooked egg served on top of the rice in a very hot bowl. You break the yolk and stir it around in the bimimbap and the egg finishes cooking in the bowl. Bimimbap is very hard work. Every thing must be sauted separately with a differnt sauce. Good, but not worth the effort, I'd much rather just get it from a restaurant. Ok, time to finish getting ready for school!

Hard to figure why with a high humidity some stuff is so dry. Weird. Hope you can get acclimated to the temps and humidity for the coming winter, then it should be okay. Stay warm and healthy! Love you,
ReplyDeleteDad